First, we want to apologize for the errors in the recently launched Compass Probation Report. Many thanks to the units that identified these errors and notified us so quickly. We had hoped that this new report would be available for your use this quarter, but it appears we have more work to do.
There are two reported issues with the academic probation report when viewing Fall 2016 data:
- Students new to UCI in Fall Quarter 2016 (freshmen and transfers) are not listed in the report
- The “Current Probation” column for Fall Quarter 2016 is blank
Both of these issues are caused by the same thing – a legacy timing issue. The data used by Compass is the same originally used by Student Success Collaborative (SSC). Unfortunately, we erroneously assumed Fall probation data would be available after final grades. It is not and this is why the report is not currently working as expected.
For now, please continue to use the Registrar-provided reports, which should be available to you in the normal fashion — I believe that they were distributed earlier this week.
Once we’re back in January and have discussed how to best fix this report, we’ll send out a follow-up to let you know exactly what you can expect when Winter Quarter 2017 grades are available in late March 2017.
Again, please accept our sincere apologies for this issue. Timely and reliable access to data is a primary goal with Compass, and it simply didn’t happen with this report. We’ll be evaluating our data feeds and data processes to ensure this does not happen in the future.
If you should have any questions, please let us know and thank you for your continued collaboration as we build Compass for the campus.
- 12/20 5:28pm: We’ve discovered that our data source is scheduled to be updated with Fall probation statuses in mid-January 2017. We’re working to find out how to either quicken this process, or update the report to make it more immediately useful. For now, please use the Registrar-provided probation status reports. If you need to use Compass to find out Fall 2016 GPA information, you can use the Demographic Report, select Fall 2016, and refer to the “Term GPA” column (or select Winter 2017 and refer to the “Previous Term GPA” column). We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this data loading timing delay has caused. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.
- 12/20 9:46am: The data source used by Compass is missing the information for the probation status for Fall 2016, as well as the data for new students. We’ve reached out to the group that maintains that data source to further investigate.
- 12/19 2:49pm: Data for new students is not currently available; we are investigating this issue.