The COMPASS team has recently launched several updates to our reports, described below. Note that we have also renamed the KSAMS role for advisors from “Compass – Cognos Viewer” to “Compass – Advisor” to better align with our other role names. You should not notice any impact from this change, but please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to access a report.
New process for submitting access requests for new advisors
To help expedite access requests, a new Scout form has been created. Please use this form when submitting access requests to ensure a timely response: https://scout.eee.uci.edu/s/compass-advisor
This form is also linked on the Access and For Advisors pages on the Compass website.
Remote training sessions available
If you would like a COMPASS refresher for yourself or your team, please let us know: email@example.com. We’ll coordinate a time to provide a training session via Zoom in whatever time you have available (recommended length: 45 minutes).
New feature in ScoreShare: Assignment statistics
Based on user feedback, the EEE development team has updated ScoreShare to provide statistical information on assignments, along with student assignment scores. For each assignment the system calculates the mean, median, and standard deviation. Note that this feature is available only if the assignment is in Canvas (which a vast majority are at this point).
New Report: Graduation Application Insights
This report uses graduation application data from the Registrar and links it up with student demographic data, allowing you to learn more about the students who are completing your programs.
New Report: P/NP Enrollment Insights (launched Winter 2020)
Last quarter, we also launched a brand new report, Pass/No Pass Enrollment Insights. This report is intended to help you identify students taking classes for the P/NP option for outreach or intervention efforts as necessary. You can access this report here: https://compass.uci.edu/reports/pnp-insights/
Updated fields in P/NP Enrollment Insights Report: P/NP Units
Based on user feedback, we added two additional columns to this report to help monitor students taking classes with the P/NP option:
- Current P/NP Units: The number of units the student is currently enrolled in using the P/NP option, excluding any units taken for Workload Credit (WC) only
- Cumulative P/NP Units: The total number of units the student has completed using the P/NP option, excluding any units where the student earned an NP
New field, First Language Code, on Lower-Division Writing Progress Report
Based on user feedback, we added a new column to this report to help interpret the data provided:
- First Language Code (FLC): describes the first language learned by the student, as derived from their UC Application. Values are “English only”, “English/non-English”, or “Non-English”
New fields on the Academic Progress report: # of NR, I grades
Based on user feedback, we added two new columns to the Academic Progress Report:
- # of NR grades
- # of I grades
As instructors submit grades, these fields will be updated (typically within a day or two).
New filter & field on Student Demographics Insights: Cohort Year
Based on user feedback, we added a new filter and field to this report to help look up and view student cohort year.
This is based on their entering term; if they enroll at UCI in Fall 2018, they will have the cohort year of “2018/19”. If they enroll in Winter 2020, they will have the cohort year of “2019/20”.
This should make it easier to run reports and focus on your first year students, second year students, and so on.
This change will be expanded to include the rest of our reports in the coming weeks.
Field calculation change: Terms Completed
Based on user feedback, we have updated how reports calculate the Terms Completed.
- Prior to this change: Terms completed was a simple calculation: current term – entering term. If a student withdrew and returned later, the non-enrolled terms were still included in the count.
- After this change: Terms completed now counts only terms where the student completed coursework; if a student withdrew in a term, that term is not included.
New Canvas Usage Reports for directors
In partnership with the EEE Team, we have created and published reports providing information on Canvas usage to advising directors, school IT directors, and University leadership.
These reports are accessible here: https://compass.uci.edu/canvas/usage-spring2020/
What we are working on next
As always, we continue to work on new reports and enhancements for you. Here’s a glimpse into what is in progress:
- Continued work on integrating data sources into the Student Data Warehouse, which is planned to be the canonical source for data in the future.
- Exploration of Tableau for dashboard-style reports. OIT is working on deploying the Tableau business intelligence software so we can create and distribute reports using it. We plan to migrate any non-spreadsheet-style reports to Tableau, including Course Demographics Insights and other reports.
Have an idea? Please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org) — these updates are not possible without your feedback.