Core to the mission of the Compass Project is student data. This data comes from a variety of sources – Admissions, the UCI Directory, the University Registrar, and others. The Compass team takes the utmost care in protecting this data, including partnering with data holders around campus, tightly controlling access to reports, and using existing University tools and processes whenever possible.
If you have questions or concerns about Compass data, please contact us – we're here to help.
Who has access to Compass reports & data?
Reports for advisors
These Compass reports provide non-aggregated, identified student data on undergraduate students to authorized users. These users must meet the following criteria for access to Compass reports that contain individualized student data:
- Work in a school-wide academic advising or counseling role for undergraduate students
- Work in an office or unit that has access to Compass (see below)
- If you meet all the criteria in this section except for this one, please have the director, manager, or similarly-titled head of your department/unit contact us to discuss accessing Compass
- Have access to the Registrar’s WebAdmin tool, and the Transcripts feature within
- Be approved by the Registrar for access to Compass reports
- Completion of FERPA training (either in-person or online)
Reports for faculty
These reports aggregate and de-identify students. Users must be employed as an instructor by the University for access to these reports. If you are an instructor and cannot run the reports, please contact us.
Reports for academic administrators
These reports aggregate and de-identify students. Users must meet one of the following criteria to be granted access to the academic administrator reports:
- Are a dean for a school
- Are an associate dean with an area of responsibility that includes undergraduate education
- Or, are verified as an assistant dean or equivalent by the associate dean
- Are a chair of a department with at least one undergraduate major
- Or, are verified as a vice chair or equivalent by the chair
If you would like to request access for an assistant dean, vice chair, or similar role, please fill out this form to request access.
Academic Administrators can also access all Faculty reports.
If you meet the above criteria and cannot run the reports, please contact us.
Non-typical access requests
If you want to access Compass reports that aggregate and de-identify students, you must meet the following criteria for access to reports that contain aggregated, non-identified student data:
- Demonstrate legitimate educational interest in the data
- Approval by the Vice Provost of Teaching & Learning for access to Compass Reports, in consultation with other units on campus
- Timely completion of FERPA training (either in-person or online)
Note that approval is not guaranteed. The Compass team will work with you to try and identify the best place to retrieve your data; this is often the Office of Institutional Research or the University Registrar.
Currently, groups with access to Compass include: