Factors to Consider when Interpreting the Course Grade Insights Report
Compass provides the Course Grade Insights report as a tool to view course grade distributions. Course grade distributions represent one of many possible strategies to evaluate success in the classroom. Various factors influence grade distributions—some within an instructor’s control and others that are beyond. As you review the grade insights report, please consider the following factors that could potentially affect a grade distribution (please note, this is not an exhaustive list):
- Administrative policies (add/drop/withdraw dates)
- Students’ prior preparation
- Student attendance, motivation, and time spent studying
- Quarter, time of day, and day of the week course is offered
- Class size
- Course instructor
- Teaching practices
- Assessment methods
- Absolute vs. curved grading
For additional assistance interpreting the Course Grade Insights report, contact the Center for Assessment & Applied Research.
For guidance on improving classroom success, contact the Division of Teaching Excellence and Innovation.